I decided to see if I could Make a mold of this body. I'm hoping to encapsulate it in silicone, pull it out and then try to make a body that will be a shell like a normal car kit. Check out the article!
Does anybody have a good wheel they could loan me? The kit came with white metal parts and they are too rough for my liking. This is a 1:24 scale kit.
Post by Mastercaster on Sept 11, 2011 18:05:21 GMT -8
AWESOME!! HMMMMMM....... Is the meeting somewhere close to me? I can actually find my butt with both hands while my eyes are closed but I'm famous for not reaching the meeting place. Hopefully I will have a 70 Pontiac GTO convertible kit from Dan Adams for all to check out. Not sure if it is a Promo. I'm hoping it is a four speed. I'm already starting to feel sick! I sure do appreciate the help. I will bring a wheel and tire for matching. That kit is a 1:25 scale.
Post by Mastercaster on Sept 14, 2011 8:28:29 GMT -8
The Headlights that come in the kit are a sort of domed vacuum formed part with no detail. I opened up a VW bug kit thinking that would be the ticket to a more realistic part but it was no better. Anybody got something better? If you only had one good one of something in a parts box it would help make this baby pop!
Post by Mastercaster on Sept 28, 2011 10:23:49 GMT -8
Well....as usual there are missing pics! I made the mold and pulled the body out. I mixed up 40 ML of resin and sloshed it around in the cavity three times to build up a thickness that seems OK. The body came out very nicely with the exception that the top of the windshield frame came out looking bad. Since I am back from Indiana I cut out the entire windshield area of the mold and slipped the body back in. It fit nice and tight. I did re do the clay in the windshield opening and then poured in fresh silicone. Hopefully this will work OK.
Ok Here are a couple of pics of the first pull. The top of the windshield is deformed but the inside top of the cab turned out pretty good for a first try.
Post by Mastercaster on Sept 29, 2011 9:02:53 GMT -8
The repair of the mold went very well. I really expected silicone to sneak behind the open mold parts like I have experienced in the past making body molds.
The windshield opening looks much better as all that bead trim is present.
Unfortunately I was focusing on getting my pouring cup cleaned out and I let resin puddle up in the area that forms the roof of the cab. The first one I made I thought was really good in this area. Darn shame it did not turn out well. I will just have to try it again!
Post by Mastercaster on Oct 9, 2011 21:24:15 GMT -8
Here is a wheel from the Ren kit. I polished it up the best I could With some metal polish Dale gave me. The detail is very nice. It looks like a hub cap is separate from the wheel. I drilled deeper into the axle hole hoping they would actually be two parts. I don't think so. One problem I might have is upon removing the resin wheel out of the mold might cause the part to grab and keep hold of the silicone in the mold. I am hoping that I can make two good ones and make them two pieces just because a mold may not last long or not even survive one part pull. We will see how this goes.