Post by Mastercaster on Feb 6, 2012 16:08:40 GMT -8
I have not updated this for awhile. Here are some pics of parts I have been making just by brushing resin around in the molds to make parts that are shells like a kit would be. I made the parts to be a overlap of the other part. I need to make the part that would be the front wheel back. I am thinking it will be a possible three piece body. In the bottom pic there are some red X's where I think it could be ground out and then made into a new master. I am envisioning that the hauler part can be mastered to slide up from the bottom to meld the two parts together, then the builder would simply do body work to fill in this seam. A lip will be added to the underside and the chassis pan will be glued to the underside and that seam could just be hidden. We are still in the thinkin' stage though. The drivers side rear window master got broke when I moved my model table into my Lab, so It needs a third try too. It's goin' slow but been busy. Too many irons in the fire! This project and the W196 R are a hand in hand effort. I think they just look really good together.
Post by Mastercaster on Oct 31, 2012 20:29:04 GMT -8
You will all be glad to know this project has resumed. This was a project that has been looked at a few hundred times.
I did manage to make a couple of decent back windows. These will be the only clear windows I will make from resin. I think the rest will be flat that the builder can cut from a sheet and glue in the cab. As you can see the parts are now shells. This is as good as it will get for this. There is a big difference in the thickness of the cab and the back part. This is due to the interior tub design. With the cab being thick and the back being a shell it will be heavy at the front and will probably need to be weighted. If this is going to be displayed with the in progress W196R on it it will be OK until someone removes it from the Transporter. I just happen to remember that the car looked wrong setting on my parts so I need to go back and review this topic.
Post by Mastercaster on Jun 23, 2013 12:42:56 GMT -8
I made a mold of the back part of the body.
The mold made a nice first copy. I decided to mix 50 ML of resin. I guessed real good! Well....That's all the work on this project for this year. Looks like I have until 2076 to complete this project and I have plenty of time. And the Grandkids will graduate from high school before the house gets done too.