Looking at the kit, I discovered that the dull red stripes had already been clearcoated and that was as good as they were going to get. Then, looking at the photo reference web page, I saw that the first TV Batmobile DID have dull red stripes. Maybe they used the same reference page. Now I just have to match the color for the exhaust port stripe. The photo of the painted chassis below represents a week's worth of work for me. Am I slow? You betcha!
Here's stage 2 of the Batmobile build - the interior parts painted, detailed, and decaled. I didn't use the funky red labels for all the controls. I figured the world's greatest detective could remember that stuff. The decal sheet includes duplicates of all of the decals except the license plates (choice of 3) and the Bat Radar screen. Since the screen consists of a black circle with a tiny white line that becomes visible at about 250% enlargement, I just painted it flat black. The only detail parts I've added are a coiled phone cord and the door handles.
I'll post more when I actually put the interior together.
Here' the latest stuff, with the interior assembled and the exterior detail pieces painted. I took the model to the Saturday's (July) Moonlight Modelers meeting. To reiterate the most-asked question: No, I didn't gloss coat the body. Mine don't turn out that good. It comes out of the box that way. Really.