I'm not sure if I should post this in details or paint, 'cause it covers both. Here's a shot of my AMT '65 GTO. It is the one they re-did in Mexico that was trounced in the reviews for the size of the emblems. It seemed a natural to try photo-etch replacements. I was experimenting with a bunch of stuff on this one. The paint is Createx Auto-Air Pearl Magenta, tinted with blue artist's acrylic tube paint and thinned back down to usable consistency. (Hey, acrylic is acrylic, right?) I painted the emblems, used Future floor wax to stick them to the model, and then shot the whole thing with more Future from the airbrush. Auto-Air dries with a kind of matt appearance, so the gloss coat is necessary. There was a dust spec that got into the clear coat on the roof (most visible part, or course). I gently sanded it off and touched it up with the original pearl mix. There was some kind of reaction between the Future gloss coat and the new paint that made a kind of bluish ring around the touch-up, probably because of the weird mix of media that I used. (Okay, so maybe not all acrylic is created equal.) This is more visible in the pic 65 GOT 3 on public.fotki.com/FMW/auto-air/.
Speaking of dust getting where it doesn't belong, I'm sure I cleaned the model off (with a Kleenex, duh!) before I shot the pictures.
I used the same material for both the attachment and the clear-coat because I figured that the latter would tend to blend in any of the former that squished out from under the etched part. As for the color, the magenta base just kept getting prettier the more blue I blended into it. I decided to stop before the pearl effect got buried.