Post by Mastercaster on Oct 24, 2011 10:43:42 GMT -8
Here are a couple of pics of the mold for the cab. I didn't learn anything from the toilet plunger project! It really is better to slightly indent the clay in the window openings. I also forgot all about putting a block of foam in the interior to aid in de molding a fresh part. I had to whittle a hole in the plug.
Post by Mastercaster on Oct 29, 2011 20:08:34 GMT -8
MAN!! This thing is really getting to me! I have spent the last few days hoping to get a good pull out of this mold. I think I have it filled up properly now. Some were hollow in places. One was missing the back part of the cab. One had some areas where the resin did not cure. I opened up another gallon kit of resin and had to do some equipment clean up. I am hoping this one will be a keeper. I capped the open end of the mold with silicone. I am hoping this will make a difference. I first tried to pour the resin in the open end but found it was leaking out of the bottom. I wrapped duct tape around the top and poured in the silicone.
Post by Mastercaster on Oct 30, 2011 15:07:00 GMT -8
Thanks, John. I sent you a PM
Here is another one. It is not quite as nice but useable. Notice the dark spots and swirls. This is uncured resin. How does this occur?? I have no idea. Sometimes this stuff just seems to refuse to blend together. I stir the crap out of it and sometimes it is like this or worse. I just don't get it! This is picture number 42 and this has been read 598 times. This must be a hot topic!
Post by Mastercaster on Nov 3, 2011 10:11:06 GMT -8
Here is a pic of the window template. I copied it onto tissue paper and then I will thin some Elmers glue and stick it to a small resin sheet.
I thinned out the glue and soaked the tissue paper good and laid it on the glass master. I took a Q-tip and gently rolled over the surface to push glue from underneath. The top sheet has a couple of imperfections and is not going to be a good master. Hopefully the one that I intend to use is good on the other side. I will see when it is dry. This is the 300 resin that I stopped using for parts. It only takes about 150 degree water to make it bend easily. I have solar hot water panels on my house and that temp is easily obtained right out of my hot water tank.
Here is a series of pics of a pretty successful attempt at a rear window master. Now if I can get a matching mirror image for the other side. What do you all think? I'm pretty happy with it for now. ;D
Post by Mastercaster on Nov 3, 2011 18:19:43 GMT -8
I'm an in gan eer! Here at Shartin Looms Labs we are full of ideas, we are full of talent. But mostly we are just full of crap! LOL But seriously, this project has been a challenge. I hope the tires turn out good. I have had some resin that will make the black rubber tires. I sure hope it's still good. It has never been opened and it's been around for awhile. I bought it from AeroMarine. Fortunately for me I found out early on that it did not take a lot of heat to make the 300 bendable. I didn't want to handle a master made out of clear resin a lot and it would take a few days to turn one out of the mold . I was afraid that a lot of handling might scuff it and so far my experience is still limited. Polishing it is troublesome too. The SMOOTH-ON Task 8 that I use would take a lot of heat to make it bend, it is more like styrene.